Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Who is responsible for assessing my property?

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is a not-for-profit and independent organization that the Province of Ontario created in 1997. MPAC accurately values and classifies all Ontario properties for municipal property tax purposes.

Where can I get more information on my property's assessment?

Please contact MPAC for more information on your property.  MPAC also offers property information, including information on comparative properties at  You will require a copy of your Notice of Assessment as sent to you by MPAC in order to access your property information for the first time.  

What if I disagree with MPAC's assessed value of my property?

If you believe that your assessed value is inaccurate, MPAC will review it if you file a Request for Reconsideration (RfR) by March 31st of the current tax year, with the exception of the 2017 taxation year. For 2017 taxation, this deadline has been changed to 120 days from the date your property assessment notice was mailed. Please refer to your property assessment notice for your specific appeal deadline. There is no fee for this review. To learn more about how MPAC assesses properties or to obtain a form to apply for a Request for Reconsideration, visit or call 1-866-296-6722.

Would you explain my property tax bill?

You pay property taxes to the municipal government to support the Township of Guelph/Eramosa and the County of Wellington services, and help fund education. The Township sends out tax bills twice annually. It usually sends out interim bills, based on 50 per cent of the previous year's taxes, in January for February and May payments. Final bills reflect new tax rates and are usually issued in June for payment in August and October.

How is the tax rate determined?

Three levels of government determine the property tax rate: Township, County and Provincial (education). The Township establishes a budget to provide the municipal services and infrastructure for which it is responsible. It calculates a municipal tax rate that will meet the funding requirements identified in the Township budget. The County of Wellington follows a similar process while the Province of Ontario establishes an education tax rate. Use this calculation to figure out your residential property tax:

The Municipal Tax Rate x the Assessed Value (CVA) of the Property + The Regional Tax Rate x the Assessed Value (CVA) of the Property + The Education Tax Rate x the Assessed Value (CVA) of the Property = The Total Property Tax

Why is the final tax bill sometimes larger than the interim?

If any of the three tax rates (Township Property Tax, Regional Property Tax or Education Property Tax) have changed, or the assessed value on the house has increased, the second billing will be for a larger amount. The Township bases the interim bill on 50 per cent of the previous year's taxes.

Can my taxes be paid through my mortgage company?

Yes. You must make the arrangements with your mortgage company. Contact your mortgage company for further information.

How can I calculate what my taxes will be on my new home or a home I am considering buying?

The formula for estimating the taxes on a new home is: current tax rate multiplied by the purchase price of the house.

My house is sold and the closing is scheduled in the middle of the tax billing period. How do the new owner and I split the tax bill?

Your lawyer will do a statement of adjustment, which will show what portion of the tax bill the current owner is responsible for and what the new owner will be required to pay. The lawyers will make these adjustments at the closing. Owners are required to make all tax payments as they are due up to the date of closing.

What is a supplementary tax bill?

The Township issues supplementary tax bills when MPAC has reassessed a property because of additions or improvements that increase its market value or when MPAC has fully assessed a new building. In the case of a newly constructed home, there can be a considerable delay between the occupancy dates and when the Township receives the assessment information from MPAC. Until the Township receives this information, the Township cannot issue a full tax bill. Once the assessment information becomes available, it sends a supplementary bill, dating back to when the new owners took possession of the property. Bills received prior to the supplementary billing are usually smaller and represent land only. If you receive a supplementary billing and you did not own the home during this time, the bill should be forwarded to your lawyer to arrange for payment.


Please advise the Tax Office in writing of any mailing address changes.  Failing to receive a tax bill could still result in penalty and interest charges.

Please address changes  to:

The Township of Guelph/Eramosa

Tax Department, P.O. Box 700

Rockwood, ON N0B 2K0 

or by email to or

Please quote the property address and roll number on all correspondence.

I no longer own the property, what do i do with the tax bill i received?

If the property has changed ownership, send the tax bill to the new owner or return it to the Tax Department.

why should property owners pay taxes for services they don't use?

It’s a way for everyone to share the cost of delivering essential public programs, facilities and services.  Even if we choose not to use a particular service, it is important that everyone contributes to these valuable community assets. 

For example, businesses don’t have children but a portion of their property taxes is used to cover the cost of education which is an important part of the future of our community.

HOW are property taxes calculated?

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) assesses the value of all properties in Ontario based on several factors including location, age, size, lot size, and property type (single-detached home, townhouse, multi-residential, commercial, industrial etc.) to determine their market value.

The Township of Guelph/Eramosa and County of Wellington sets the tax rates for municipal services, and the Province of Ontario sets a rate for the education.

The tax rate is applied to the assessed value of the property.