Building Department Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if construction is carried out without a permit?

It is against the law to commence construction without a permit and you could be subject to legal action under the Ontario Building Code Act.

If the construction does not comply with the Ontario Building Code Requirements, you may be subject to:

  • Costly repairs to gain compliance

  • Removal of work not built in compliance

  • An increase in building permit fees

  • Legal action by the Building Department to gain compliance

If you are unsure whether your project requires a building permit, contact the Building Department.

How do I apply for a Building Permit?

Applications can be downloaded from our website or picked up in person at the Township of Guelph/Eramosa Municipal Office at 8348 Wellington Road 124.

Complete applications can be submitted in person at the Municipal Office or emailed to:Jenni Spies – Building Department Administrator


Incomplete applications will not be reviewed until all required documents and information are obtained. Please ensure the application form is complete and all necessary drawings and specifications have been attached to avoid delays in processing.

For more information on what to include in your application, please refer to the building information guide for the type of construction you are proposing.

What types of drawings are required?

Plans must contain sufficient information in order for Building Department staff to determine if the proposed project conforms to all applicable regulations. Site plans are required for all permit applications, please refer to our Building Information Guides for details on required drawings.

Please note, we do not accept CADD files. For large drawings, digital copies are preferred.

Who obtains approvals from other agencies?

It is the responsibility of the applicant to secure required approvals from other agencies (where required) prior to the issuance of a building permit. Staff will advise the applicant of the required approvals from other government agencies upon submission of the building permit application.

How long does it take to get a permit?

Processing a building permit application typically takes between 10 to 30 business days, depending on the size and class of the project:

  • 10 Business Days - Residential permit applications 
  • 15 Business Days - Part 9 Buildings, Multi-Family Residential, Commercial and Industrial buildings less than 600 m2 and not over 3 storeys
  • 20 Business Days - Part 3 Buildings, Residential, Commercial, and Industrial buildings over 600m2 and/or more than 3 storeys
  • 30 Business Days - Post Disaster Buildings

The above timelines are for complete applications. A complete application meets zoning requirements, Building Code, applicable law, and the submitted documents provide all required information.

The Guelph/Eramosa Township Building Department is prepared to provide reasonable assistance to the applicant, but will not assist in the laying out of work or acting in the capacity of an engineering or architectural consultant. See our building information guides for drawing examples and more information about application details.

How much time do I have to finish the work before the permit expires?

Once your permit is issued, construction must start within one year and be continuous and on-going.

How much does a permit cost and what does the fee include?

The Corporation of the Township of Guelph/Eramosa By-Law 13-2018 regulates the fees and charges for the Building Department. These fees cover all plans review, the building permit, and resulting inspections. Building permit fees are not subject to HST.

How do I book inspections?

Due to the high volume of inspections within a large geographical area, please ensure 48 hours notice is given when calling in to book your inspection. To book inspections, call the office or send an email:

Jenni Spies - Building Department Administrative Assistant

Phone: (519) 856-9596 ext. 114      Email:

Will my taxes go up?

Taxes are based on the assessed value of a property. For more information, please contact the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation at 1-866-296-6722 or visit them on line at

Do you notify my neighbours about the building permit?

Your neighbours are not notified about your building permit providing the proposed work meets all current zoning regulations. Once a building permit has been issued, you are required to display the permit visibly from the street, road or waterway, if applicable.

Who is responsible for getting a building permit and calling to have the required inspections done?

While many contractors act as an authorized agent for their customers, the ultimate responsibility rests with the homeowner. It is advisable for homeowners to discuss this with their contractor before applying for a building permit so everyone knows their role. Please note, you must submit an Owner Authorization Form with your application if the contractor will be acting on your behalf. If a permit is required for the work being undertaken, no work is to commence and no inspections will be carried out until the permit is issued.

If a building permit is not required, do I still need to comply with all zoning regulations?

Construction projects that do not require a building permit are still required to conform to the applicable zoning regulations. Whether the project is large or small, contact the Planning Department at 519.856.9596 ext 112 to determine the zoning and permitted uses for your property.