Open Air Burning Permits


As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, all burn permits held by current property owners that were issued in 2019 and are set to expire or that have expired will now be valid until June 1, 2020.
The Township encourages property owners to delay applying for a new burn permit at this time, however, in urgent situations, residents can email their application to or send it in by mail to:

Township of Guelph/Eramosa
8348 Wellington Road 124
Rockwood, ON N0B 2K0

Staff will create and send out an invoice to collect payment. Your burn permit will be returned via regular mail.

We appreciate your cooperation.

Any Open Air Burning requires a permit issued by the Township. 

Open Air Burning is defined as the ignition or incineration by fire of combustibles for the purpose of burning grass, clean wood other combustibles in any open place, yard, field or construction area, which is not enclosed by a building or structure and includes fires in barrels and Fire Pits.

Open Air Burning is not permitted in any residential area or rural residential area within the Township unless approved by a permit and is generally only permitted if the property has indicated they meet the setback requirements of 7m from any building, structure, hedge, fence, road, overhead wire, treets or obstruction of any kind.

NOTE: A permit is not required for cooking fires and recreational fires. However, safety provisions apply to the setting and supervision of all fires.

View our Guide to Open Air Burning Brochure to understand the difference between cooking fires, recreational fires, and open air burning and the by-law provision for these types of fires.

How do I get an Open Air Burning Permit?

Complete the Open Air Burning Application Form and, along with the required fee, submit your application by:

  • Visiting the Township Municipal Office during regular business hours; or
  • Dropping it off at the secure after-hours drop slot located at the front door of the Township Municipal Office; or
  • Mailing your application and fee to the Township Municipal Office (8348 Wellington Road 124, P.O. Box 700, Rockwood, ON N0B 2K0). Cheques can be made payable to the Township of Guelph/Eramosa.
  • Please note that the application MUST be signed by the owner of the property.

Permit Fee

The fee for the permit is $25.00 and is valid for one year from the date that your permit is issued.

For more information

For additional information regarding the regulations (such as burning times, setbacks from structures, size of pits) please review the Open Air Burning By-law 39/2017.

For additional information, please contact Fire Services at 519-856-9637 or email at  Legislative Services at 519-856-9596 ext.101 or ext.125 or email